As the global economy continues to expand, international trade matters and U.S. laws and regulations governing trade are becoming increasingly important to companies large and small. The International Trade group of Goetz Fitzpatrick understands the unique challenges that trade law can pose, and works with companies, no matter their size, to make sure they are in full compliance with the trade laws.
Also, administrative proceedings involving import trade relief are having an increased significant impact on the U.S. economy and on individual companies. Goetz Fitzpatrick lawyers represent foreign producers, exporters, importers and U.S. domestic industries in these proceedings. They include intellectual property cases before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) and antidumping and countervailing duty cases before the Department of Commerce (DOC) and the ITC.
The following are among areas our attorneys handle:
- Representing clients in Unfair Trade Practices-Intellectual Property cases before the ITC under Section 337 which prohibits the importation of goods into the United States which infringe U.S. patents, trademarks, or copyrights.
- Providing representation before both the DOC and ITC in antidumping (selling below fair price) and countervailing duty (illegal subsidies) cases.
- Advising on U.S. sanctions and setting up compliance programs, including the rapidly changing sanctions on Russia/Ukraine, Cuba and Iran.
- Ensuring compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) which prohibits bribery of foreign government officials in this era of vigorous Department of Justice enforcement.
- Advising on U.S. anti-boycott regulations issued by the U.S. Office of Anti-Boycott Compliance and by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Assisting clients in obeying U.S. expert licensing regulations, which control or prohibit the exportation of certain goods, issued by the Departments of State, Treasury and Commerce. This includes obtaining the proper export license and setting up compliance programs.
- Providing Customs advice in matters before the Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
Goetz Fitzpatrick lawyers advise on all matters of international economic law, including the World Trade Organization (WTO), the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), and the upcoming Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). Our attorneys represent clients before the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) and are licensed to practice in the U.S. Court of International Trade (CIT) and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in trade appeal cases, as well as in matters before the U.S. Supreme Court.